I did it! I sewed for 30 minutes a day for (almost) 30 days in June.
It started off pretty easy, but got harder throughout the month, as it got harder to ignore the things that I let slip in order to fit in the time to sew, such as housework. I did end up skipping a few days here and there. Initially, if I skipped a day I tried really hard to ‘catch up’ the following day by sewing for an hour instead of thirty minutes; but this ended up being a bit stressful and almost turned it in to a chore, so I stopped stressing about it and if I missed a day I just picked up where I left off on the following day. Another credit to Flylady for reminding me that “You are not behind! I don’t want you to try to catch up; I just want you to jump in where we are. O.K.?” The lady is a legend. And as it worked out, some days I’d have some extra time anyway and carry on sewing, and overall I am sure I averaged the equivalent of at least 30 minutes a day.
Despite that, progress was also slower than I was expecting, no surprise there – I have a habit of being a bit too optimistic about how much I can do!
I did finish the Sis Boom Sophie Tunic, and am really pleased with the end result. It’s a deceptively time-consuming pattern for what looks, and is, a very simple top – but it was worth it as it is just what I was hoping for: a very cooling, light summer cover-up to protect little E from the sun. I’ll be doing a full pattern review soon. Unfortunately, little E was less than co-operative when it came to modelling for my photos. How hard is it to get a 1 year old to keep still ??!
Little E isn’t walking yet so that makes getting a full-frontal, standing-up shot even trickier. Here she is after playing a game of “yes I can stand up but as soon as you press the shutter on your camera I’m going to sit down mummy!”
I moved indoors to see if her leaning on a prop would help. Here are some of the out-takes.
Ah well, you get the gist. And as she demonstrates very well, the top is perfectly suited for playing around in! In fact it’s so practical yet pretty that I really want to make a couple more before our holiday. But as we depart next Friday, that just isn’t going to happen.
One more thing I managed to do in my 30 minutes for 30 days challenge was sew on some cute straps to a ladybird sunhat. Another holiday essential.
The hat itself is from H&M, but I added the polka dot straps in an attempt to get the hat to stay on baby’s head for more than half a minute. It works. Kind of – for about 5 minutes, which is still a noteworthy improvement!
Well thanks for sticking with me during my challenge. I enjoyed it so much that I’m going to keep my goal of sewing for 30 minutes (almost) every day, indefinitely. Next up are a pair of leggings for little E: it’ll be too hot on holiday for proper trousers but she’s too much of a heavy-kneed crawler for shorts or dresses, so leggings are a great compromise. It’ll be my first time sewing with knits, eek! I’ll let you know how I get on.